Nonprofit organizations are leading the way for innovative environmental practices that help save our planet, and their funding.
Adopting these energy-efficient standards will help you make the most of your valuable efforts and spread the word about your mission, all while decreasing your footprint:
Supplies and Operations
- Switch to LED bulbs for long-lasting, efficient lighting, and install motion sensors that will save on energy.
- Upgrade heating, ventilation, computers, and appliances to equipment with updated efficiency technology.
- Choose natural and biodegradable cleaning products and sealants that won’t release harsh chemicals and toxins.
- Opt for used or recycled-content furniture and building materials when possible.
- Go paperless as much as you can, otherwise choose eco-friendly postconsumer waste paper, or PCW.
Make an Impact
- Set up a procedure for recycling paper, aluminum, and plastic to significantly reduce waste.
- Install bike racks and showers, and administer public transit passes to encourage a greener commute and minimal parking lot maintenance.
- Establish a conservation mission statement for your organization, and educate the staff and public about your greener efforts.
- Bring plant life into office areas to decrease indoor pollution and improve the mood of the staff.
Adopting these green practices will reward your organization by reducing your energy costs, decreasing maintenance of obsolete components, and improving your environmental impact. In addition, many organizations may even receive financial awards and grants for reducing waste and building greener facilities.
A commitment to positive environmental advances helps your organization stand out among other groups, improving your fundamental mission and securing a brighter future.